Many companies have begun evaluating the environmental impacts of their suppliers. Perhaps you are a supplier to another company and have been asked to assess and report your environmental impact. You can also request that your suppliers evaluate, report, and improve their environmental impact. Working closely with your suppliers can have significant impacts on your bottom line. Below are some ideas for both you and your suppliers to consider:
- Reduce your waste by employing inventory management practices
- Decrease scrap and material losses, thereby reducing costs
- Reduce your use of hazardous materials
- Convert waste products to by-products or reuse them in another process
- Reduce packaging on raw and finished products
For more ideas about working with your supplier, see MnTAP's fact sheet, Questions to Ask your Supplier.
Resources for More Information
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: The Lean and Green Supply Chain [PDF 7.71MB]
- Material Handling Industry of America: The Green Supply Chain
- Green Supply Chain Network
- U.S. EPA Green Suppliers Network
Like our content and want to share it with others? Please see our reprint policy.