Waste Reduction Strategies
Optimizing material use and reducing waste can make your operation more efficient and result in cost savings for purchasing, handling, and disposal. The following steps can help you reduce material use and waste:
- Understand what’s in your trash through a waste assessment or sort
- Reduce waste at the source by changing procedures, processes, and products
- Reuse excess materials at your facility or through the MN Materials Exchange
- Purchase environmentally preferable (“green”) goods
- When reduction is not an option, maximize recycling:
Always remember to reduce, reuse, and THEN recycle.